Charlevoix Michigan Visitors Guide
Have you explored Charlevoix lately? This city is located right between Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix and is less than thirty minutes from Hotel Walloon. Charlevoix is easy to access by way of Petoskey or Boyne City. Charlevoix has countless things to do- from exploring a castle to attending one of their many festivals, time in Charlevoix is always time well spent! With new eateries and shops, there are even more places to visit next time you are in town.
Things to Do in Charlevoix, Michigan
- Castle Farms: Almost 100 years old, Castle Farms is located right outside Charlevoix. The Castle offers guided tours which allows you to learn all about the Castle’s history and enchantment. Throughout the year, attend exclusive events, such as farm-to-table dinners, a Halloween party and Train Wonderland for the holidays. If you are unable to make any of those events, stop by for a tour to see this majestic castle right here in Northern Michigan.
- Venetian Festival: This week-long festival is packed full of exciting events including golf, tennis and volleyball competitions, carnivals, live music and bands, footraces, block parties, boat parades, fireworks and more! With the events happening right on Lake Michigan, the Venetian Festival is a fun event with a great view that has something for every age group to enjoy.
- Charlevoix Mushroom House Tours: Take an exterior walking tour of these unique homes and buildings designed by Earl Young, who designed over 20 properties in Charlevoix. He designed the homes and buildings to be unique to the area, with many of the stones on the siding directly found on the shores of Lake Michigan. For more information on these architectural tours, please contact the Charlevoix Historical Society.
- Apple Fest: Apple Fest is full of food booths, farmer market stands, apple orchards presenting fresh items and baked goods and arts and crafts, this fall event is the perfect addition to your Fall Color Tour plans in Northern Michigan.
Places to Eat in Charlevoix
- Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant: Located next to the bridge in Charlevoix, the Weathervane is open for lunch and dinner (days can vary, due to season). With a seasonal menu and exquisite architecture (designed by Earl Young, mentioned above), add this spot to the list of places to try while in the area.
- That French Place: Featuring delicious crepes and coffee, this tasty eatery is somewhere you definitely need to visit for a lighter breakfast, brunch or afternoon snack! Their crepes range from savory to sweet, with options like honey and almond or spinach, mushroom and feta. Be sure to make That French Place a top priority during your day trip.
- Grey Gables Inn Restaurant: Their carefully curated menu is delicious every day of the week, as Grey Gables is open seven days a week, starting at 4:30 PM. If you are in the area on Wednesdays, you will want to stop at Grey Gables for hand-rolled sushi, with Hawaiian big eye tuna that is freshly flown into the area. Located in downtown Charlevoix in a Victorian house, this restaurant is perfect for a night of fine dining.
Places to Shop in Charlevoix
- The Lake House: If you’re looking to take part of Northern Michigan home with you, stop in The Lake House for the perfect décor, gifts for friends and family, holiday trinkets, and more. The Lake House is located on the main road in Charlevoix, so you cannot miss it!
- The Taffy Barrel: If you have a sweet tooth, stop by The Taffy Barrel for gourmet saltwater taffy and old fashioned candies. They have over 30 flavors of saltwater taffy and some favorite pastime candies, including Pop Rocks, Sixlets and candy buttons. The Taffy Barrel is located on Bridge Street in downtown Charlevoix and just waiting for you to stop in to try all their tasty treats.
- Bloom: This exquisite gift and flower shop is a must while making your way through Charlevoix. With the freshest of flowers and the most thoughtful gifts, you will not leave Bloom’s boutique empty-handed.When planning your day trip to Charlevoix, be sure to ask Hotel Walloon’s Concierge for more suggestions of what to do. For information on booking your next stay at Hotel Walloon, call (231) 535-5000 or visit www.hotelwalloon.com.