Endless Snow Activities in Northern Michigan
December 5th, 2016
Looking for the perfect way to welcome the snow? There are endless winter activities for kids and families in Petoskey, with over 150 ski slopes, cross country skiing and snow shoeing trails, ice skating, snowmobiling there isn’t much more a winter enthusiast could ask for! The best part is, Hotel Walloon is centrally located near all of the winter fun.
Petoskey Winter Sports Park, located in the downtown area, offers ice skating, sledding hills and limited hills for skiing / snowboarding. The outdoor rink has free admission, with skate rentals for only five dollars. Did you forget your sled at home? Don’t worry! The sports park has some sleds that you can use to enjoy the hill. When you need a break from the fun, cozy up inside in front of the fireplace in their warming house, which also offers concessions. The Winter Sports Park is just waiting for the snow to come! They will be open all winter long, weather permitting.
If you want some great suggestions for skiing in Petoskey, see our last blog post about how Hotel Walloon is surrounded by the best ski resorts in Michigan!
The Petoskey area offers endless cross country skiing and snow shoeing trails. Want to know the best cross country / snowshoeing trails in the area? Check out these five trails we think you should explore this winter:
- Nub’s Nob offers not only wonderful ski trails, they also provide groomed trails for cross country skiing and snow shoeing. Their trails offer different levels of difficulty and a total of over 12 miles of trails for you to enjoy.
- Petoskey State Park allows you to use the beach front area for cross country skiing and snow shoeing. This ungroomed area is a great workout and also provides a wonderful view of Lake Michigan!
- Another trail to try this winter is North Central Michigan College’s three mile trail located along the Bear River. The ungroomed trail is flat with easy access to the trail head, located behind the Student Community Resource Center on campus.
- The Melrose Township Nature Trail, located next to Hotel Walloon, is a short loop for a quick afternoon adventure with your cross country skis or snowshoes (available for rental through Tommy’s). This trail follows the Bear River and is located in the wooded area of the Village of Walloon. This nature trail is less than a mile long. After exercising on the loop, as a guest of Hotel Walloon, head back to the hotel to enjoy the fireplace with an afternoon refreshment courtesy of the Walloon Lake Inn, before enjoying dinner at Barrel Back for the evening.
- One of the best spots to enjoy in Northern Michigan is Pond Hill Farm! Pond Hill offers two miles of groomed trails for cross country skiing, snowshoeing and fat tire biking. After enjoying this afternoon of leisurely winter activiites, enjoy lunch at their farm-to-table café, located above their farm store that sells an assortment of items made on site. The café offers award winning wines and beers, made on site at their winery / brewery.
Are you planning on coming north for a weekend of exploring the snowmobile trails? Don’t forget to check out one of the newest snowmobile trails in Norhtern Michigan that leads right up to the Village of Walloon. In 2015, the snowmobile trail that is part of the larger trail system from lower Michigan was brought into the Village of Walloon. The trail cuts east to US131, then connects to the existing Petoskey trail system. From the Village of Walloon, snowmobilers can now reach as far north as Mackinaw City and as far south as Grand Rapids. This trail includes a newly constructed twenty-foot bridge that crosses the Bear River as well as other roadway improvements that were completed in 2015. This snowmobile trail is perfect for snowmobilers to drive right up to Barrel Back’s restaurant for a delicious and warm break from the cold.
Northern Michigan is the perfect place to vacation this winter and Hotel Walloon provides a wonderful place to stay after a day outside in the cold snow! Enjoy the northern atmosphere and unlimited adventure of the area before returning to Hotel Walloon for a night in front of the massive fireplace, enjoying hors d’oeuvres and cocktails from our lobby bar.
Hotel Walloon is currently offering offering $25.00 off your stay in a Cottage View Queen, Cottage View King, Lakeside King, or Lakeside Double Queen when the reservation is booked seven days in advance with full payment due at booking. This promotion is non-refundable, non-cancellable (after twenty-four hours from booking) and no changes can be made to the reservation, with certain holiday weeks and weekends unavailable. For more information on winter rates and this special seasonal promotion, please call our reservationist at (231) 535-5000.