October Events in Northern Michigan
October 1st, 2016
L.M. Montgomery once said, “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” Hotel Walloon couldn’t agree more with that statement as we welcomed October with hot apple cider and the changing of leaves this past weekend.
There are so many events happening in October in Northern Michigan between the fall festivals, fall color tours, shopping events and more! We rounded up 10 fall events in Northern Michigan that will give you a reason to come stay at Hotel Walloon and explore Northern Michigan.
1. Walloon Lake Fall Color Tour Boat Rides: Hotel Walloon and Tommy’s Watersports are partnering together this fall to offer captained fall color tours by boat for guests of Hotel Walloon during the following weekends:
Friday, October 7th, 2016
Saturday, October 8th, 2016
Friday, October 14th, 2016
Saturday, October 15th, 2016
This event is exclusive to Hotel Walloon guests (and their guests) and is the perfect way to unwind after a busy week! The fall leaves are already starting to change around the lake, so don’t miss out. One of the best parts about this event: you only have to walk to the edge of the dock! Meander out the door of Hotel Walloon and on to your awaiting boat for your leisurely adventure to begin.
2. Pond Hill Farm Fall Festival Weekends: Every weekend during the month of October, Pond Hill Farm is offering Fall Festival Weekends. These weekends include squash rockets, pumpkin smashing, hayrides, pumpkin painting, cider, donuts, feeding the fish, pumpkin bowling, pig races and more fall fun! The events happen on Saturdays and Sundays all through October from 12 PM – 4 PM. Pond Hill Farm is located 40 minutes north of Hotel Walloon at the beginning of M-119’s Tunnel of Trees.
3. Young State Park’s Halloween Harvest Festival Weekend: Don’t miss out on movies in the graveyard, kid’s crafts, hayrides, “spooktacular” contests and more fun Halloween activities! Events start with a movie in the graveyard on Friday, October 7th and continue until Sunday, October 9th. Young State Park is located only 15 minutes from Hotel Walloon, making this a fun activity for the family to enjoy during their stay.
Photo Courtesy: JFK Library
4. Hemingway Harvest Festival: If you are familiar with Northern Michigan, you know that Northern Michigan residents are proud of the area’s Hemingway connection. This year, Petoskey is celebrating this literary giant with the Hemingway Harvest Festival taking place on Friday, October 14th – Sunday, October 16th in Downtown Petoskey. The event lineup includes special store events, hay rides, fall activities in honor of Hemingway’s era and more! Downtown Petoskey is located only 15 minutes north of Hotel Walloon.
5. Charlevoix’s 38th Annual Apple Fest: This year’s apple festival features over 30 different kinds of apples, baked goods and fall items. Apple Fest includes a fall farmer’s market with maple syrups, jams, homemade granola and more fall treats; food booths, arts and crafts, a swing dance concert, family 1 mile run and 5K and more exciting events for the entire family. All events are taking place in Downtown Charlevoix starting on Friday, October 14th at 10 AM and concluding on Sunday, October 16th at 4 PM. Charlevoix is located only 30 minutes away from Hotel Walloon.
6. Good Hart Market Days: Market Days are happening Saturday, October 8th and Saturday, October 15th from 2:00 PM – 5:30 PM. Market Days consist of local artisans selling their homemade soaps, hand blown glass, jewelry, photography, plants and more. Good Hart is located on M119, creating the perfect drive from Hotel Walloon through the Tunnel of Trees to Good Hart. Good Hart is located 45 minutes from Hotel Walloon.
7. Boyne Area Restaurant Week: Boyne Area Restaurant week highlights the local flavor by showcasing food specials at favorite establishments including Café Sante, Red Mesa Grill, Porter Creek Fish House, Provisions Wine Emporium & Market, Lake Street Market, Fustini’s Oils and Vinegars and more local Boyne establishments are celebrating restaurant week from Monday, October 17th – Monday, October 24th.
8. Petoskey Restaurant Week: Join in Petoskey Restaurant Week happening Friday, October 21st – Friday, October 28th highlighting the best of the Petoskey area. Some featured venues include Mim’s Mediterranean Grill, Noggin Room, Mitchell Street Pub, Palette Bistro, Thai Orchard, and more local gems. This culinary event is one you don’t want to miss!
Photo Courtesy: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/350788258452363237/
9. Date Night Color Tour: Spend the night of Friday, October 28th with your significant other at Fustini’s for a special two-hour cooking class featuring a delicious dinner for two! Watch Chef Andy Stewart create a delicious meal of Mustard and Beet Goat Cheese with Tomato Confit; Ratatouille; Shrimp with Leeks and Zucchini Tempura; London Broil with Orange Rice; and Lemon Meringue Parfait.
10. Murder Mystery Dinner: Stafford’s is hosting a four course meal to go along with their murder mystery event happening during the weekend of Friday, October 28th and Saturday, October 29th. This spooky Halloween tradition is a favorite in the area.
After enjoying the surrounding area’s events, come back to Hotel Walloon for a relaxing evening in front of the fireplace with a glass of wine from the lobby bar and desserts courtesy of the Walloon Lake Inn. Call Hotel Walloon today at (231) 535-5000 to book your October getaway in Northern Michigan.